- Make a list of all your items that you are going to store and approximate sizes to help you in determining the packing supplies that you need. (E.g. boxes, packing tape, marker, etc.)
- Make a list of packing supplies you will need to make the job easier and to ensure that your belongings do not get damaged. We have all types of boxes and packing materials available.
- Before you begin packing, weed out everything that you no longer need, wear or want. Have a garage sale or donate these items to charity.
- Purchase your packing supplies – Bluebird Self Storage Clients receive 10% off all packing supplies.
- If you are storing appliances, clean and dry appliances at least 24 hours prior to storing. Tape all doors shut but place a wedge inside the door for ventilation. Remove broiler pan and racks from your oven. Tape burners or coil elements to the top of your stove and tape down all knobs.
- Disconnect and empty all washing machine hoses and store them inside the machine. Immobilize the tub with a brace or by placing towels between the tub and sidewall.
- Tape electrical cords to each appliance.
- Clean and dry all outside tools and equipment before packing.
- Drain all gasoline and oil from lawn mowers, weed eaters, chain saws and other equipment. Disconnect all batteries.
- Empty propane tanks from barbeque grill and properly purge hose. Clean your barbeque grill. Secure lit and immobilize moving parts.
- Only use good quality boxes or containers that can be secured tightly. Used or old boxes may have mold spores.
- Tape the bottom of your boxes to prevent the contents from spilling out.
- Boxes should be filled to capacity to avoid collapse and tipping when stacking. You can always fill the tops with towels/blankets etc.
- Use smaller boxes for heavier items so that they are easier to lift.
- Place a fabric softener sheet in your boxes containing, bedding, towels, etc. to keep the smelling fresh.
- Use bubble wrap to protect your delicate items.
- Immobilize moving parts and remove all detachable cables and wires from your T.V., stereo, VCR, DVD and computer. Colour code or label wiring for easier reinstallation. Tape of tie cables and wires.
- Bubble wrap your electrical items. Mark as fragile.
- Take legs of tables off. Tape bubble wrap or packing paper to the legs of your table and chairs to protect them from damage.
- Cover items such as mattresses, sofas and chairs with dust proof covers.
- Wrap pictures and mirrors individually in bubble wrap or picture boxes and mark as fragile. Stack on end.
- Pack lamps and lamp shades in individual boxes. Use clean paper, bubble wrap or towels for padding.
- Pack books flat to protect their spines.
- Close the box and seal shut with tape to prevent damage, to make stacking easier and to prevent dust.
- Each time you pack a box, use your marker to label contents and where they are to be unloaded.
- Stack similar boxes together to maximize space.
- Plan the storage of your contents. Remember, if you load it last it will be unloaded first.
- Try to leave frequently used goods to the front of the unit. You may need to get in to get something.
- Store lightweight small items around the back of the locker and move large heavy items into storage last.
- Heavier boxes should be placed on the bottom and lighter ones on the top.
- Stand sofas and mattress on end. Do not place heavy or sharp objects on top of upholstered furniture.
- Don’t forget to leave a walkway so you can get to the rear of the unit.
- Place tall items against the walls and corners to make room for bulkier items.
- Use a good quality lock on your locker door.
What you can't store
- Flammable Liquids or Fuels (e.g. paints, paint thinner, liquid bleach, matches, candles, aerosol cans)
- Firearms or Ammunition
- Perishable Food Products
- Toxic Materials
- Live Animals
- Anything for Illegal Purposes